Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Michigan Shenanigans

30 some odd years ago my mother served an LDS Mission to Michigan.
She has kept in touch over the years with a man she taught while she was there.
He has been trying to get her to come back and visit ever since.

Well, she finally caved in. And she was generous enough to let me and Paisley tag along.
We had a fabulous time and Paisley enjoyed tolerated her first few airplane rides. (She did amazing!)
I enjoyed sight seeing and also getting to know the Fegel Family.
The only thing I didn't enjoy was being away from Nick all week.
Next time we go he is coming with us and trying out the waves on Lake Michigan!


Grand Haven - Lake Michigan


I loved going to one of the Great Lakes - it was like going to the Ocean.
I sure wasn't prepared for the bone biting cold that we encountered though.




We got there just in time to see the sun go down. It was gorgeous.
  



Random Sites around Lowell/Grand Rapids


I thought the covered bridges looked like they came straight from a fairytale. Very pretty.


Caboodles of apple orchards in Michigan!
We stopped at a Cider House to warm up our bones with some tasty warm cider.

 A showboat on the river in Lowell.
Here is my mom with Brother Fegel - the man she taught the gospel to 30 some odd years ago.


Meijer Garden and Sculptures



 Mad Mom Statue



 Huge Horse Statue
It's a replica of Davinci's statue in Milan



 Neuron Statue

This isn't a sculpture. It's my cute little girl.



Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park

Our last day in Michigan we drove North to Sleeping Bear Dune National Park.
It was gorgeous. My pictures don't do it justice.
I loved the quaint little towns, all the colors of the leaves, and running up Sleeping Bear Dune....barefoot.




To say it was a bit chilly would be an understatement.




 Brother and Sister Fegel



This is Sleeping Bear Dune.
I was told to take my boots off and run up it barefoot so I could feel the sand between my toes.
So I did.
At first it felt nice, but by the end my feet were red and numb....probably should have kept my boots on.



Historic Fishtown

Up by Leland, MI is an old Fishtown that has been very well preserved.

My mom's favorite part was watching the Salmon try to jump up the dam.

 Quite Entertaining.

Hopefully we will get to go back again soon (with Husband in tote).
Is was such a nice vacation - enjoyed by all!

4 comments:

tricia said...

Um your photos are awesome. And not to sound like a weirdo, but you are stinkin hot. Like, I am girl crushin on you. Looks like fun and I am glad that Paisley is such a great traveler:)

Unknown said...

love the red shoes. :-)

Carly said...

it looks beautiful. those blue waters also look really warm, but it sounds like a good thing you didn't dive in and take a swim.

Rob and Kat said...

holy smokes... you put me to shame. i feel like you've done more cool/sightseeing things in MI than I have! your pictures are gorgeous!!! my aunt lives in Grand Rapids, so I've been there many a time, and I went to Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes when I was really young. I remember it being huge, and in your pictures it doesn't look so huge. lol. But that really looks beautiful, Jess. I'm glad you got to go on such a nice trip to see such special people. (p.s. i live on the opposite side of the state... um... just in case you care. lol) xoxo