We've already been in Spain for about a month now - and what a month it has been!
We have all had our share of adjustments to make - but I think it is safe to say that we are all starting to feel at home.
Let's start with me, shall we?
After living in Belgium, I knew my biggest hurdle would be grocery shopping and the food.
I love me a good, oversized American grocery store.
The other morning I woke up to Cruz crying and rolled over to Nick and said,
"Oh no, I was having the BEST dream....
I dreamed I was in an American grocery store...
and I hadn't even gotten to the Dr. Pepper yet!!!"
It's getting better though. I have started to find ingredients to actually make meals - meals that actually taste good.
Paisley has had to adjust to food and eating habits as well.
Ever since we have arrived she hasn't seemed to eaten very much.
Finally, one night we were having spaghetti and she just went to town. It made me so happy!
She made quite a mess, and was falling asleep at the same time (this kid is exhausted!) - so it was pretty funny.
I pretty much love our big jetted tub,
but Paisley would never sit down in it to take a bath.
For a few weeks she always stood up and threw a fit when we tried to get her to sit down so we could bathe her.
Finally, the other night I told her Cruz was going to bath with her, and ever since then she has loved taking baths again.
Cruz has seemed to adjust quite well.
I suppose it's not really a surprise - he doesn't know any better.
I would even go as far to say he is loving his life in Spain.
He shared his first laughs with us the other day - on his 12 week mark!
He's such a fun easy going little guy. And sometimes he enjoys to take his siesta like this:
Another major adjustment for me and both our children has been living on "Spain Time".
In the U.S., Paisley had a strict bedtime of 7:00 pm. I really felt like she needed to be in bed that early, and I loved having that quiet time for me at the end of the day.
However, here in Spain things don't even get going until about 8:30 (or later) at night.
Our church goes from 4:00-7:00 - so that's usually a very tough evening for us (or at least me).
These days we are lucky to have Paisley and Cruz in bed by 9:00 at night.
We are learning - and everyday seems to be getting better though.
I asked Nick what he has had to adjust to since living in Spain and he couldn't give me an answer....
So, apparently everything's grand in his Spanish world!
Obviously, a foreign language has been an adjustment for all of us.
Nick has a really good ear, and has learned another language previously, so I feel like he is picking it up really well. Me on the other hand.... not so bueno.
I honestly don't think our transition would have been so smooth without the help of wonderful ward memebers here.
What would we do without the church?!?
They have been so friendly, helpful, and supportive. I already feel like we belong not just to a ward, but to a family here.
We had the Hermanas over the other night for dinner and they taught us how to pray in Spanish.
I'm proud to say we all survived our first month in Spain!
There have been some frustrating, lonely and discouraging times for all of us, but we have also been blessed with some amazing experiences!
We are excited to see what the next months will bring to our family.
5 comments:
i love that you already had the missionaries over- how great! your kiddos are so cute! i cant believe how big cruz is already- nuts! thats funny about the grocery store- i would feel the same way- you guys crack me up!
Oh your house is so So cute! Keep us updated on your Spain life...what an awesome experience. I guess there are ups and downs to it, huh? I will take advantage of the American grocery stores here for you. I can't even imagine how hard and foreign that would be. You are a trooper girl! Your kids are so dang cute!!
Grocery shopping in a foreign country is intimidating. In Austria I was so scared of the cashiers, who expected me to have my groceries bagged and cash in hand ready to pay as soon as they were done ringing up the last item. Then there were fun things like trying to find ingredients that just didn't exist in the country. Or finding out that cilantro is called coriander over there. I seriously dreaded shopping for the first 3 months. I can only imagine dragging two kids into the mix. You're so brave!
Great post Jess. You really have a great attitude about your life being turned completely upside down! Thanks for keeping us updated on your goings on...I promise I'll update our blog this weekend...I do love hearing and seeing all about your adventures! XOXOXO Ann, Adam & Ellie
Glad you are all slowly adjusting. YOu are doing great. And it will only get easier and more comfortable. Glad Paisley enjoyer her spaghetti!
Post a Comment