Well, she's here! Seriously, I couldn't be happier. She is the sweetest thing ever.
Here's how it all went down in case you were wondering:
I went to the Dr. on my due date, January 17th.
Unfortunately, my body still showed no signs of labor coming soon, and even worse, the doctor could no longer feel the baby's head. So we did a quick ultrasound to make sure she hadn't flipped. She was still head down, but looking like she wasn't going to arrive anytime soon. So the doctor scheduled an induction date the evening of Sunday Jan 23.
I went home that day really depressed thinking I had another week of pregnancy. Nick, being the sweet man that he is took me to cafe rio to cheer me up. It kinda worked, but I really just wanted my baby in my arms and not in my belly. Nick and I spent the next few days going for LONG walks, biking, eating spicy food....pretty much everything you could think of to help the baby drop and induce labor.
Finally, Wednesday night I started to have contractions. Within an hour they were 5 minutes apart. I called Labor and Delivery and told them what was going on and they told me not to come in until they were 3 minutes apart. So Nick and I diligently timed them as they got more and more painful, but never got down to 3 minutes. I was up all night having contractions, thinking that anytime this baby was just going to pop out of me. The next day the contractions began to become more irregular and farther apart (Grrrrr). That night they were about 10 minutes apart but extremely painful so Nick took me to the hospital just to get checked out.
They admitted me into the hospital and started to monitor me, and after 2 hours they sent me home with a sleeping pill because my body still hadn't done much.
The sleeping pill did nothing except make me super confused and loopy all night. I continued to have contractions until the next (Friday) morning. They were super painful and nick was timing them to be about 4 minutes apart. After a particularly strong contraction I got up out of bed and heard a pop and than noticed my water had broke. Hooray! Now the hospital had to keep me!
We immediately went to the hospital where they hooked me all up to Pitocin which got the contractions going real good and knocked me up with a good Epidural. Life was pretty good for the next few hours!
But then, after 7 hours of labor and only dilating to a 5 the nurse became a bit concerned. She started to notice that our baby's heart rate was dropping after each contraction and that she seemed really tired.
My doctor had just gone out of town so they called the doctor that was on call. He came into the room and talked to us for a bit but all I really heard was, "Well, we're going to want her to be able to pass the driving test someday so I think the best thing to do is to have a C-Section."
This really freaked me out and I started to think that my baby was in some sort of trouble. The nurses quickly prepared me for surgery, and because I sensed their anxiety I became pretty emotional.
They wheeled me into the OR at 3:10 and at 3:18 I heard the cries of our baby girl. She had the cord around her neck, but was still perfectly healthy!
Having a C-Section really wasn't bad. It was actually pretty amazing to feel them pulling and tugging on my innards and sewing/stapling me back up. Nick watched the whole thing and still talks about how fascinating it was!
Paisley Jane Bahr arrived at 3:18 pm Jan. 21st 2011
6 lbs. 5 oz. 20 inches long
Hanging out, eating a Popsicle, waiting to have a baby.
Here's how it all went down in case you were wondering:
I went to the Dr. on my due date, January 17th.
Unfortunately, my body still showed no signs of labor coming soon, and even worse, the doctor could no longer feel the baby's head. So we did a quick ultrasound to make sure she hadn't flipped. She was still head down, but looking like she wasn't going to arrive anytime soon. So the doctor scheduled an induction date the evening of Sunday Jan 23.
I went home that day really depressed thinking I had another week of pregnancy. Nick, being the sweet man that he is took me to cafe rio to cheer me up. It kinda worked, but I really just wanted my baby in my arms and not in my belly. Nick and I spent the next few days going for LONG walks, biking, eating spicy food....pretty much everything you could think of to help the baby drop and induce labor.
Finally, Wednesday night I started to have contractions. Within an hour they were 5 minutes apart. I called Labor and Delivery and told them what was going on and they told me not to come in until they were 3 minutes apart. So Nick and I diligently timed them as they got more and more painful, but never got down to 3 minutes. I was up all night having contractions, thinking that anytime this baby was just going to pop out of me. The next day the contractions began to become more irregular and farther apart (Grrrrr). That night they were about 10 minutes apart but extremely painful so Nick took me to the hospital just to get checked out.
They admitted me into the hospital and started to monitor me, and after 2 hours they sent me home with a sleeping pill because my body still hadn't done much.
The sleeping pill did nothing except make me super confused and loopy all night. I continued to have contractions until the next (Friday) morning. They were super painful and nick was timing them to be about 4 minutes apart. After a particularly strong contraction I got up out of bed and heard a pop and than noticed my water had broke. Hooray! Now the hospital had to keep me!
We immediately went to the hospital where they hooked me all up to Pitocin which got the contractions going real good and knocked me up with a good Epidural. Life was pretty good for the next few hours!
But then, after 7 hours of labor and only dilating to a 5 the nurse became a bit concerned. She started to notice that our baby's heart rate was dropping after each contraction and that she seemed really tired.
My doctor had just gone out of town so they called the doctor that was on call. He came into the room and talked to us for a bit but all I really heard was, "Well, we're going to want her to be able to pass the driving test someday so I think the best thing to do is to have a C-Section."
This really freaked me out and I started to think that my baby was in some sort of trouble. The nurses quickly prepared me for surgery, and because I sensed their anxiety I became pretty emotional.
They wheeled me into the OR at 3:10 and at 3:18 I heard the cries of our baby girl. She had the cord around her neck, but was still perfectly healthy!
Having a C-Section really wasn't bad. It was actually pretty amazing to feel them pulling and tugging on my innards and sewing/stapling me back up. Nick watched the whole thing and still talks about how fascinating it was!
Paisley Jane Bahr arrived at 3:18 pm Jan. 21st 2011
6 lbs. 5 oz. 20 inches long
11 comments:
she is beautiful! congratulations!!! :) Think of all the cute little girly birthday cakes you can make her!
awww! Such a cute little family! She is beautiful! We can't wait to meet her! Give me a call when you have a minute. I have those binky clips for you.
I love hearing birth stories and yours was a good one! Glad it all went well, and she is so stinkin' cute!!!
oh jess, so so so beautiful! I'm so happy for you and your hubby. congrats again
JESSICAAA! What a seriously beautiful baby! You and Nick will be awesome parents! She's a lucky girl. Hope you are feeling well and getting your rest.
oooooooh my gosh shes just precious jess!!!!! congrats you two!!! shes like a mini mary poppins "practically perfect in every way!" :-) Oh the song posters are $28 email me at ladittadesign@hotmail.com if you want one and let me know what colors you want to match your nursery...oh and what song!
Soooo cute! congrats! And what a story! Glad she is healthy. :)
she is just perfect. congrats!
Congrats on the new addition to your family. Hope you are all doing well.
Congrats you guys! She is absolutely beautiful!
Oh my goodness she is so cute!!! so glad we found your blog, and so excited to see you guys Tuesday!
Post a Comment